Sunday 5 February 2012

You know you are getting old when........

Its sunday as I type this and I'm sat in a cosy kitchen with the smell of roast beef lingering in the air from lunchtime, shortbread just out of the oven and a nice cup of coffee beside me.


The kids are watching a Barbie DVD and Lesley is at work.  Quiet time.  And boy do I need it!


I'm a Queen of the South fan (thats a Scottish 1st division football club in case you didn't know).  I have been for some time.  In fact I have been going since I was a boy with my dad and have stood on the terracing (yes, we have such things still) on the same spot, with the same group of friends for we think 17 years.  Nobody is really sure.


Anyway, to the point of this post.  Queens were away to Aberdeen this weekend in the Scottish Cup.  This weekend was the perfect indication of how much we have all changed!  None of us fancied the bus anymore so Stuart drove up after work on Friday.  Riotous night out I hear you ask?  Nope, got to Aberdeen, had a whisky and we all turned in at the Premier Travel Inn for the night.


Next day, rather than hitting the town at 9am and getting "straight on it".  We all had a leisurely breakfast, a drive into town and a wonder round.  A bite of lunch in a rather nice restaurant and away to the game.  Admittedly we did have a few with the lads from the supporters buses when we found them but on the whole, remarkably sober! 


The game ended in a draw and we were straight down the road.  I was home at 10 and watched the highlights on TV.


Whats the point in all this?  Well, not so many years ago, a weekend like this weekend would have been a serious bender for all of us.  A huge amount of drink would be drunk and mischief would have been gotten up to. Heads would have been throbbing.  Hangovers would have been monumental and have been discussed for months, nay years to come.


Did I enjoy the game any less? Nope.  Did I feel not capable of joining the banter? Pfffft, this is me here!  Did I not sing as loud or cheer as loud when Queens went one nil up? Have you heard my croaky voice today?   In fact. Shocking revelation - I probably enjoyed it a whole lot more.  I am still totally crushingly tired though!


It appears I may be growing up gracefully.  With that dissapointing thought I leave you. I may have to have a wee whisky tonight to get over the shock! :o)

Chin Chin!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogwaorld David ;-) Thanks for the mention to Kate

    ReplyDelete